Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bookish Sundays: Black

Title: Black [Circle Series, vol. 1]

Author: Ted Dekker

Category: Christian, Fiction, Fantasy

Synopsis [c/o Barnes & Noble]: "Fleeing assailants through deserted alleyways, Thomas Hunter narrowly escapes to the roof of a building. Then a silent bullet from the night clips his head . . . and his world goes black.
From the blackness comes an amazing reality of another world where evil is contained. A world where Thomas Hunter is in love with a beautiful woman.
But then he remembers the dream of being chased through an alleyway as he reaches to touch the blood on his head. Where does the dream end and reality begin?
Every time he falls asleep in one world, he awakes in the other. Yet in both, catastrophic disaster awaits him . . . may even be caused by him.
Some say the world hangs in the balance of every choice we make. Now the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choices."
c/o Barnes & Noble
Overview: I didn't realize this was a Christian series until halfway through the second novel in the series.  I felt kind of slow after that epiphany...the whole first book would have made a lot more sense if I had noticed it sooner.
The Circle Series is a fantasy/fiction collection that focuses on the physical and religious journey of one man who must save the world.  He flickers in and out of two worlds, unsure of which one is reality.  They are connected to each other in the fact that events that happen in one world effect the other's well being.  Caught in a web of intrigue, power, and disbelief, he comes to the realization that the two realities are so intertwined, that if he dies in one...he dies in the other as well.  This is no dream state for Thomas Hunter; both are tangible, although polar opposites, and the fate of both existences rest on his shoulders to make sure they are not overcome by evil.
In my opinion, this series could be considered The Chronicles of Narnia for adults.  Although in Narnia the adventures and actions taken by the four children do not effect the world they live in outside of the wardrobe, the fact that God has taken a different form than the one we are used to, follows similar story lines, and has the same underlying message creates a familiar background setting.  It also puts to mind a Stephen King novel [even though King is decidedly not a religious author] that I will cover next week to show similarities.  
This series can be potentially confusing due to the state of two worlds existing at one time, characters overlapping, and the beginning lack of clarity on whether one existence or the other is actual reality.  All in all, a great read and well written with religious overtones.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I read this book when it first came out and started reading the second and they just did not click with me. I never finished the series. I have read other Ted Dekker books and really liked them though. My overall opinion of Ted Dekker is that he is TWISTED to come up with some of the plots he has. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live with the guy, I can only hope his wife is a good balance for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive never read it but it sounds good! I am your newest follower and I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow my preppy blog. I always comment back and would love to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm this sounds like an interesting read. It's been forever since I've read a book - i really need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for stopping my my Friday's Letters...new follower :-)
    Jenn

    www.girldefyinggravity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be able to find good information from your content.
    Here is my webpage : what is bladder leakage

    ReplyDelete