Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Welcome to 2012

I feel so out of touch with the world.  I never realized how being disconnected from the internet and virtual ability to contact my family & friends leaves one so...lost?  Restless?  I’m actually quite ashamed at how dependent I am on my computer to keep me entertained, and am dreading the legitimate possibility that I will not have internet in our home for quite some time.  I hate not being able to get ahold of my mom, see what my brothers are up to, laugh at my dad, and watch as my friends and their families continue to grow.  Plus I hate not being able to do this.  I do love my blog [perhaps a tad too much].  But Germany is a learning process, and one such process I have recently had brought to my attention is: each village has a limited number of internet hook ups [due to the fact that it’s underground?].  Just because the previous tenants had internet does not guarantee the new tenants [us] that same ability, and it actually looks like we fall under that category.  Oh. No. Looks like I’ll be doing a lot of traveling to coffee shops to get my fix.
On to the real subject.  Believe it or not, that little rant has a purpose.  We recently arrived into the New Year [2012?  Already?], and this holiday actually makes me more thankful and thoughtful than Thanksgiving.  Here is a quick flashback at how my life has changed over the past ten years, and a tiny list of New Year’s resolutions [which I have never done].
Ten years ago: Attending middle school in Glasgow, Kentucky.  Wow. 
Six years ago: Finishing my last year of high school in Minnesota.  Getting ready to enter the Air Force.
Five years ago: Learning Korean in the Air Force in California, and missing my family so so much.  Also starting the time period of growing into an adult, making tons of mistakes, and realizing that I’m not invincible.  Not a pleasant year.
Three years ago:  Starting to date Tim Anderson, and would not have believed we would end up married.
Two years ago: Deployed to Kuwait in the Middle East.  Same year Timmy & I married, I discharged from the military, and we gained our two pups.  I can’t believe it’s already been that long!
One year ago: Living in California, planning our belated reception, no clue we will be in Germany by the end of that year.
Now: Settled into our home in a new country, keeping myself occupied with cooking, crafts, traveling and the works.  I can’t believe the person I was even five years ago, and how much I’ve changed.  Ready to see what this year brings us!
Resolutions:
-Be satisfied.  There are billions of people in the world who couldn’t even imagine living my life.  I am happy, healthy, and alive.  There is no need to want or desire more. [This would be my reaction to my constant desire to fill my time with internet.  Needs to stop]
-Write more letters.  I’m so far away from my family and friends, but lacking technology shouldn’t stop me from keeping in contact.  It’s been quite a while since I’ve penned more than my name on a receipt, but I’m sure I can manage.
-Keep a journal.  I could argue that this blog is somewhat of a journal, but there are tons of things and pictures that occur every day that I don’t think should be shared with everyone.  I would like to keep an actual journal of amazing events, thoughts, ideas, etc. that can be read in the future or by our children of a time in a foreign country.  Cool, yeah?
-Get a polaroid camera.  Much easier/cooler/unique to put those pictures in a journal than getting digital ones printed.
-Learn German.  I am a firm believer in learning languages, and speaking the host countries’ words.  If you’re in America, you can speak whatever you want since we don’t have a national language.  If I’m in Germany, there’s no excuse not to learn German.
-Excel in school.  This might actually be the toughest of them all.  I’m dreading the start of my online semester, and have no desire to actually study or do homework or anything.  I joined the military instead of college for a reason.  But it needs to be done, and I need to do it well.
-Be kind.  It can be very easy [for me especially] to become extremely self centered and self focused.  I tend to be brusque with others when I’m in a hurry, wait to speak instead of listening, and think only of myself when...well, thinking.  Time to turn that focus outward.  I’m too old to expect everyone to think only of/about me.
-Repurpose a piece of furniture.  I've been wanting to do this for a while, but with the move thought it would be impractical.  This year, it's happening.

Do you have any New Year's resolutions?  Any favorite DIYs or projects that you have always wanted to do, but just haven't gotten around to yet?  You should probably do them.  After all, isn't this year the end of the world or something?!

To end the post, here are some pictures of my own New Year's Eve party.  Hope you had a great one as well and have an amazing 2012!








3 comments:

  1. I can't call them resolutions. I am calling them "The New Facts of How I Operate." It implies a bit more permanance and less wiggle room with regard to them being optional.
    1. No more texting while driving
    2. Return to slimmer version of myself
    3. & 4. are a little personal to share on a blog, but they are good for me and for others.

    Good post, sweetie.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love you and your blog is great. I don't have any resolutions...then I can't be disappointed in myself when I don't do them. Chat with Dad sometime and get him to tell you #3 and #4. They are good ones, but they make me GTM a little.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a journal would be great! Just a quick note though...not to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure they quit making Polaroid film several years ago, so unfortunately that idea probably won't work out for you :/
    Good luck with the German though!! :) We think of you all the time!

    -Shelby, Alex, and Olivia

    ReplyDelete

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.