Friday, January 27, 2012

Decorating, slowly

Ever so slowly starting to put my house together.  I could probably get the majority of it done in one day, but when Timmy is home I would rather spend time with him, and when he's at work I focus on homework and walks in the woods.  I don't regret it.  I"ll have six months of boredom to fill with decorating.


Hello, beautiful old suitcases.  You look good in my living room. 
Not a single frame in the house has pictures in it.  I kind of like it...I just imagine something different in there every day.

Thrifted sewing table and vintage cameras.  You look good in my living room, too. 


I'm liking it so far.  Now just to sweet talk the landlord into letting me paint, and I'll be golden.


I get asked a lot what I eat.  I'm a tad picky, and am not a big fan of most meats...hamburgers, steak, chicken, turkey, ham, etc. I'll eat them if I have to, and like some dishes including them, but don't usually cook meat up when just by myself.  So, how do I feed myself?  Pasta, salad, fish, & fruit.  Yum. Yum.  Here's one of my favorite meals to throw together when Tim's at work:


Garlic & Vegetable Pasta

Ingredients
1 serving pasta [about 2oz.] of your choice [thin linguine for me!  even better if it's whole wheat]
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil for sautéing and to taste [2 tbsp. total, divided]
Your favorite vegetables!  Mine are broccoli, cauliflower, onions, zucchini, & mushrooms.
Parmesan cheese to taste [optional]
Whatever else you can think of!


Directions:
Chop vegetables for sautéing.  The amount you slice up is up to you!



Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and toss with .5-1 tbsp. olive oil until well coated.  Set aside.


Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in pan over medium high heat.  Yes, I used a little more than a tbsp.  I forgot to pay attention when pouring.



Sauté vegetables and garlic until soft, three to five minutes.



Once finished cooking, add to pasta and mix it up!  Top off with a little parmesan cheese for added flavor.



Other possible ingredients you could include are red pepper flakes, bell peppers thinly sliced, asparagus, or anything else sitting in your fridge.  One of my favorite impromptu meals since I never have to plan for it...just see what I have laying around, and throw it in.  Do you have any easy meals you like to make when it's just you in the house?  Share them in the comments section, or email them to me and I'll post them up.  I love simple delicious dinners or lunches, especially since I'll only be cooking for one when Timmy deploys. :)


Tomorrow or Sunday will be the debut of the new blog dedicated to helping other military families PCS to Germany.  Nothing fancy or overly pretty, but definitely filled with tons of facts.  Hopefully it will help ease some minds or remind others of crucial steps.  Guess I'll find out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.