Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bookish Sundays: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe

Title: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe


Author: C.S. Lewis

Category: Christian, Children's, Fantasy

Synopsis (c/o Barnes & Noble): "Four English school children enter the magic land of Narnia through the back of a wardrobe and assist Aslan, the golden lion, in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter."


Image c/o Amazon
You may be wondering why I am recommending a children's novel to, what I presume is mostly, adults. There are two reasons for this; first and foremost is the story itself.  Lewis does an amazing job depicting the sacrifice of the Savior for his children in a way that young adolescents can grasp, as well as creating an amazing world full of wonder and magic.  I completely encourage parents of children of all ages to make reading this novel (and the rest of the series) a family event, even if you are not religious.  The message of friendship, selflessness, and courage should be distinguished as admirable traits to children at an early age to better help them develop a less selfish set of morals (in my opinion, of course).


The second reason I recommend this book is because I firmly believe that we never completely grow out of our habits of dreaming.  We may become more jaded as childhood fades, and start wishing for pots & pans or hardwood floors instead of ponies or race cars, but we never stop imagining or reaching for dreams.  These novels bring to life everything a young person could secretly play out in their imagination, and (though we may deny it) what adults secretly look forward to when a child asks them to tell a story.  Quests, adventure, tragedy and triumph, C.S. Lewis creates an entire universe where Good does not always win the battle, but definitely triumphs over Evil in the war.  


I read the entire series in elementary school, and I don't think a year has gone by that I haven't read them again.  Not only do they make me want to be a better person, but they send me to bed with amazing dreams of dragons, knights in shining armor, giants, battles, and love only God could be capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I respond to every single comment, but only via email. If you don't have an email linked to your account, then I won't be able to respond to you! That doesn't mean I don't read your notes, though. Every single one makes my day better.